Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Snus vs. Cigarettes: Round 1

It's been about five days since my first order of Swedish Snus arrived and I started trying out a selection of brands and varieties, trying to use it to replace my fifteen year addiction to Camel Filter Cigarettes. So not a lot of time on the Snus yet, but enough to feel more familiar with it and to report in on first impressions and general progress.

As an addict whose only form of nicotine delivery has ever been cigarettes, snus is taking some getting used to. I've never tried chew or dip. My father dipped skoal for many years before quitting, and I can remember many a long car ride where he'd put some in and the car would fill with the nauseatingly sweet cloying smell. That and the random Bud cans kicking about with spit in em was enough to form a permanent aversion to the stuff.

I've never had any sort of tobacco juice floating around in my mouth, nor really tasted tobacco that wasn't being incinerated and inhaled as smoke. Nor have I really had many things stuck up under my lip, especially my top lip, which just seems like an odd place to put stuff. So all-in-all this was a brand new experience for me. I'd read so many testimonials from people who absolutely love the stuff, swear by it, and quit smoking, chewing, or dipping relatively easily by using snus, that it was hard not to have high expectations colored by all the favorable commentary.

It took about a week for my first order to arrive from The Northerner. Not bad for overseas mail. I ordered on a Thursday and received it the following Thursday. By the time it got here I was looking forward to it so much, and getting more and more sick of smoking each day, that I "Woohooed!" when I opened the mailbox and it took a fair amount of restraint to keep myself from skipping back across the lawn to the house. So again, it was hard not to color my first experience with high expectations.

I went inside, ripped into the padded envelope and started pulling out the couple handfuls of small round cans, lining them up in front of me. I get a weird aesthetic thrill out of having any multitude of small things, strange, and hard to explain. It's amazing I don't have collections of random objects. I also enjoy design, so laying out these little cans and looking at the various packaging and labeling designs was a joy in itself.

Now to get down to it. I decided to start at the top, with a General Onyx portion. These are technically "White" portions, meaning the portion doesn't go through a final stage of wetting, where the teabag like portion material is saturated with tobacco juice, making it moist and speeding up the time in which you start getting the full flavor and juices from it. But the General Onyx portion material is black, and very smooth. The portions are also arranged in the can in a circular "fan" where they sit up on edge, instead of all just being tossed willy-nilly into the can. It's a pretty impressive package when you open the sleek looking chrome topped black can. The portions are also more tapered, rather than being a plump little pillow of snus. It seemed this might help it fit under the lip better, conforming to the contours of mouth and lip. Though after trying a variety out, I can't say the Onyx really sit up there easier or more comfortably than some others.

Finding the right spot under the top lip for the portion can be a little tricky at first. Really, there didn't seem to be an innate spot where it just fit and sat comfortably. Initially, all portions seem to feel bulky under the lip. You really feel like you've got a huge bump in the front of your face. It can be somewhat surprising to see that it's really not very noticeable, and if you can look at yourself unselfconsciousy, you'll probably realize that to someone who didn't know it was there, they would be able to tell. The biggest effect it has is that you lose some of the natural mobility of that side of your lip. When you talk or smile or laugh, the portion holds one side of your top lip more or less in place, resulting in a somewhat crooked smile, though still not anything too strange or deformed looking.

At first, the portion burned pretty well against the inside of my lip. This is often described as a "tingle" in snus instructions, but it was most definitely more of a burn. This tapered off some after a few minutes, to mostly be replaced with a salt and peppery taste, along with an unfamiliar tobacco taste as the portion "juiced up" as it got moistened with saliva. The juice wasn't really the tastiest thing ever, nor did it feel especially pleasant going down my throat. The sensation in my throat was definitely more of a "tingle" than a "burn", but really wasn't very comfortable at all.

So it wasn't an immediate love. It wasn't an "Mmmmm delicious" sort of experience. I stuck with the portion for about an hour though, giving it the full chance, and waiting for the nicotine to set in. Despite having a higher than normal 11mg of nicotine, I didn't get any sort of buzz off of it, though I certainly didn't find myself jonesin' for a smoke or anything either. For the most part I found myself wanting to get done with the portion, not because I didn't like it, but because I still had a multitude of other varieties to try out.

The real test came the following day, the first day of starting with Snus first thing in the morning and going through a workday with it. I have to say it worked well. I pretty quickly grew to really like the nicotine delivery of the snus, as it gives a much longer lasting appeasement to the addiction. I got a little wound up when I combined my morning coffee with a portion, the caffeine and nicotine together had me twitching along for a bit, but for the most part it seemed the more constant supply of nicotine gave me a more peaceful fix than the quick but short lived burst from a cigarette, that quickly leaves me wanting another cigarette.

As the days have gone by, I've gotten more and more used to the sensation and taste of the snus. I do find it much more enjoyable to snus while having some drink to sip on, and the flavors combine well with a variety of things. I've already decided that Roda Lacket for instance, pairs nicely with my morning latte, while Ettan or Onyx goes better with black coffee. Roda Lacket is so far my favorite, so I've combined it with more things, like Honey Ginseng green tea, delicious. And so far most of them have gone just fine with the dark beers I favor. Overall though, I probably primarily just keep a glass of ice water handy to sip on and keep the portion wet and my mouth rinsed. I've never been a big fan of drinking water, so am probably taking in the recommended amount of daily hydration for the first time in my life. Add that to only smoking about 4 cigarettes a day after so many years of at least a pack a day, and there are some pretty immediate indications that snus is going to be much healthier for me.

As far as quitting smoking, I'm sure that will come in time. From the first portion I tried, my smoking dropped drastically, and since then, like I said, it's been around 4 cigarettes a day. I still find it challenging at times not to smoke, mostly due to routines and habits, and those times when I feel the need for an immediate boost of nicotine. First thing in the morning, after a large meal, when I'm just sitting around with little to do, or most especially when I'm feeling particularly stressed. I'm sure any of these things would be fairly easy to overcome, except that I've still got cigarettes around. I had about two and a half packs left in my carton when the snus came, so until those are gone, I'll probably still find myself reaching for one at times. There've already been more than a few times I've found my hand going for them out of habit, then realizing what I was doing, and that I currently had snus in my mouth, and certainly wasn't craving nicotine.

Even without having entirely quit so far, just dropping to a few a day I've started to notice odd side effects. I've already been startled a time or two when I've sensed odd smells. I've smoked for over half my life, so I'm pretty used to the "normality" of only really picking up on strong, pervasive scents that were in close proximity to me. So it's still catching me by surprise, and giving me that "something is out of place" feeling when I'm in a familiar area, around familiar things, and suddenly smell something unusual, only to hunt it down and realize it's nothing unusual at all.

Cigarettes also are smelling and tasting worse and worse as I go along. Which is one of the reasons I was able to pretty easily get past my initial neutrality towards the taste and sensation of the snus. I knew that cigarettes don't really taste good, how could they? That when I started they were kinda nasty and we really just kept puffing on em to get that nice nicotine buzz. We always said we'd quit as soon as we stopped getting the buzz, that there'd be no point after that. Of course, once you stop getting that buzz, you're hooked. But we were 14, what the hell did we know?

So that's where this experiment is at. About five days in, I'm snussin' all the time, and only smoking a few times a day. Getting more and more used to and fond of the snus, more able to distinguish particular flavors in the varieties, and pick out my personal faves and not so much choices. Putting together a second order to try out some more of the many different types, and get some of the more heavily flavored and mini portions for Ariel to give a shot as so far she's not at all fond of the regular tobaccoey flavors.

Even having a portion in pretty constantly, I've barely made a dent in the first order of 10 cans I put in. That order ran me about $38 with shipping, which in today's market would get me what... not even eight packs of smokes. Obviously the cans I have will last me much longer than the eight days tops $38 worth of smokes would last. Even buying cartons would be $45 every ten days, and $45 worth of snus could easily last twice as long or longer. So the good things keep adding up.

I'll update again on the continued progress of this experiment, once I have a better idea of daily use and have been using it long enough to get more familiar with the flavors and such I'll list off some of my faves and give some tips for picking out varieties to start with.

11 comments:

justintempler said...

Welcome to the club. Like you I started smoking at 14 because it was "cool" not because I enjoyed it. 38 years later I was up to 3 packs a day and found Swedish snus.

That was 4 months ago, when I first started snusing, instead of quiting cigarettes completely, I allowed myself a weekend pack. I've graduated to the point that I no longer buy those weekend packs and might have 1-2 cigarettes a week. Snus has replaced my desire to smoke.

There's a great resource on the internet. snuson.com has a forum full of friendly snus users and you'll find most of us are ex-smokers. Join us sometime.

Cowboy Gink said...

Thanks for the comment Justin, always nice to hear another success story. I've been kicking around the forums at snuscentral.org, it's also full of friendly and informative snus users. I'll have to pop on over to snuson.com soon and check it out.

Alyce said...

I've been passing your blogs on to people I know that are trying to quit smoking. I hope they'll try it!
and... I can't get the image of you skipping back to the house from the mailbox outta my head... >giggle<

Blunderchief said...

So I've been using the patch for about 4 weeks, discounting a brief stint for about 5 days where I decided to stop using it and smoked for a time.

However, this is making me really want to try Snus. There's a shop down the street that sells it apparently. I'm gonna go check it out here in a few days and see how much they're asking for them.

Cowboy Gink said...

Good luck with that Blunderchief. If you've got a local shop that sells Swedish Snus you are truly lucky! I've started seeing the Camel Snus in more places locally, but the smoke shops around still give me funny looks if I ask for Swedish Snus. Ordering it from northerner.com, I've been paying an average of $3.16 to $3.80 per can, and with 24 portions per can, I'm guessing I go through 1 can every 2.5 to 3 days. So even for a couple bucks more in retail stores, it beats the cost of cigarettes. Snus isn't a miracle cure, it's still hard to quit smoking, but it sure goes a long way. I only had 1 cigarette yesterday, I still have the habitual desire to take a smoke break sometimes, but since I've got the nicotine I need, I can calmly stop and think about it and realize it's just the routine thing, and that I just need to find something else to do. If you're looking for more info, check out snuscentral.org, join the forums if you feel like checking out other people's quitting stories or asking any questions. There are a lot of ex smokers, and a lot of people enthusiastic about snus. Good luck!

Blunderchief said...

Yo, I just bought my first can of it and ordered some free samples from generalsnus.com.

The can was $4.90 and though they carried it, the guy at the tobacco shop seemed to have no information on it, and was just reading the labels to me when he was describing it. I got the white portion, and I actually really enjoy it.

Having been an avid coffee drinker for some time now, as well as having stints with both cigars and pipes, I think I was prepared for the bitterness, and it's actually not bad at all. It sure does burn at first, though.

But yes, there is a shop literally a mile from me that carries them, so I will count myself very lucky, indeed.

Blunderchief said...

For the record, having done the patch, I noticed how much easier it is to reason your way out of a habitual craving. After several cold turkey quit attempts, it was amazingly easier. When you're doing it cold turkey, you always realize how stupid it was to smoke a cigarette immediately afterward, and I guess when you have that nicotine fix taken care of at all times, you're always in that mode. It's like playing divide-and-conquer with the addiction.

Cowboy Gink said...

Nice Blunderchief! I'm really hoping to start seeing more Swedish Snus in tobacco shops in the US before long. I get a little concerned about some of the government stirrings taking place that are looking at outright bans on buying tobacco (except cigars) online or by phone. Ban as in a felony. After less than two weeks I am pretty fully in love with Snus. While I'm not completely thrilled about still being addicted to something, I am loving being able to not smoke cigarettes constantly. I still have the occasional smoke, but find myself repulsed by the taste and craving the salty deliciousness of snus while I'm smoking. It's a strange place to find myself in, but I'll take it. I already don't notice any bitterness anymore, nor does it really irritate my lip or gums. So I'm fully in love with swedish snus, and hope I never have to go without.

Even at $4.90 it's a money saver over paying the same for a pack of smokes. My days run from 5:30am to 11pm and I can't imagine I use more than maybe 8-10 portions per day. So at worst it's probably half the price of smoking, but I'd guess closer to a third of the price in general.

I still haven't gotten my samples from generalsnus.com, guess they are going to take a while. I got my sample can from getsnus.com in a matter of days, but I can't find that promo on their site anymore, so I guess I found it right at the end.

Cowboy Gink said...

Wait, I lied! The sample offer is back up at getsnus.com, looks like they are down to cans of General White or a 12 portion pack of 4 different types.

http://www.getsnus.com/snus/sample_offer.asp

If you haven't already, hit em up and you should get your sample fast.

Blunderchief said...

Yeah I found the sample offer yesterday, but I actually decided not to take it because of the increased nicotine. Well, that and not wanting to spend $30 before Friday. I did, however, order a 5 can pack of the general original portion or whatever it's called, and I'm waiting for that to arrive right now.

I'm STILL working on this can of white portion, though, and I bought that two days ago, so this is definitely a money-saver!

I've noticed though that it seems to irritate my upper lip/gum when I put it in the middle there. However, when I stick it just off to the side it doesn't seem to irritate, and it fits easier there.

Cowboy Gink said...

Yeah, I haven't gone for the Stark pack either. It's a great deal if you want those types of snus.

I love General Extra Sterk, but only use 1-2 a day, it's become my wake-up snus, and my after dinner snus of choice. The high nic content is good for those times when I'd normally have extra strong cravings for a cig. But to use all the time would probably make me feel not well, until I got adjusted to the high level of nicotine, at which point the normal 8mg portions probably wouldn't satisfy me anymore, and I don't want that.

Skruf Stark is pretty good, but I don't love it, so don't want 3 cans at this point. I've got a can of Claq Qui coming, and may end up loving it since it's a Roda Lacket, and I looooove the original Roda Lacket snus.

And yeah, I'm still at the point of dropping $30 here and there to try out all the different varieties, so didn't feel like dropping it on that assortment instead when I may only like a quarter or half of what I get.

General Portions are a great standard snus. One that'd be easy to use all day long. If you ever feel like you need a little extra nic kick now and then though, I'd suggest trying the General Extra Sterk. I don't find it stronger in flavor, same saltiness, but it has an extra little underlying sweetness that comes out after a while.

General Onyx is a nice in between for nic content, with 11mg, but the salt & pepper flavor is much more intense and takes getting used to.