Thursday, April 9, 2009

Snus Vs. Cigarettes: Round 2

Alright, here I am, finally back for another report. I'm a little brain addled today, so we'll see if I can cover the couple things I want to here.

First I plan to report in on my continuing experiment with snus vs. cigarettes, of course. Then a little further in hand out some info as to what I think a newbie snuser (snubie ;)) can expect when getting started with snus. This will be based both on my own snubie experience and other general experiences I've picked up from everyone sharing their stories over at the snuscentral forums.

Right-O. So, today marks two weeks to the day since my first order of swedish snus arrived. I've also now marked just about three full days without a single cigarette. Not that long, I know, but it's not something I've been able to say since I was 14 years old.

Some people seem to immediately pick up snus and put down the cigarettes, making a full switch all at once. I still had a few packs kicking around, which made it pretty easy to pick one up when I felt the craving, and while I was pretty determined to quit, I'm not all that good at torturing myself unnecessarily. So I decided to not put too much pressure on myself or the snus , and try and let things take their natural course. I also pretty well convinced myself this path would be more objective in being able to judge snus vs. cigarettes.

In the first days I immediately cut down to 3-4 cigarettes a day, with relapses here and there as I ran into the addiction of routine, the fact that I'd integrated smoking into my life at a point when I was growing up and "defining" myself and my lifestyle. And of course, habits are habits. We get attached to our routines. Not to mention that when you're a smoker, there are often times, especially in the early years, where you really and truly enjoy smoking. The longer I smoked though, the more I realized how many cigarettes I was smoking without even paying attention to them, much less getting any enjoyment out of them. Even at the end though, when I was pretty sick of smoking, incredibly sick of the smell and its pollution of my clothing and of the one room of the house where we smoke, there were still those certain occasions where I found smoking truly blissful.

The first smoke of the morning, while not always the easiest or most pleasant smoke of the day, served the purpose of replenishing nicotine after going through the only lengthy smokeless period of a day... sleep.

The coffee and cigarette smoke. Which has always been one of my faves, naturally, as a huge fan of coffee since a young age. Having been a barista for 10 of the last 13 years, coffee has obviously been a pretty regular part of my life. I really did often wonder if it would ever be possible to quit smoking without making a career change.

The after dinner cigarette. Oh gods above! Is there anything more satisfying than having a wonderfully delicious and filling meal and following it up with a relaxing smoke?

And finally, the random stress smoke. How many times in my life, when things have gotten hectic, when some shit has gone down, when the kids are being batshit or have found some new antic to pull and instantly complicate our existence, has the phrase "I need a fucking cigarette." rolled out of my mouth? It's more than just the ease of getting that nicotine hit. It's a pause. A pause in the situation at hand, a pause for thought. Really probably one of the more truly useful types of smoking situations.

Okay, that's not really all of them. I could throw in the social clumsiness smoke, the awkward silence smoke, the boredom smoke, the you're smoking so I'm going to smoke smoke, the 7 minutes to kill might as well smoke smoke, and on. And on and on. But I digress.

So, fulfilling the nicotine addiction bit is really only part of the challenge. Breaking the habit of reaching for a cigarette in any number of habitual situations is a whole 'nother ballgame. I fought it here and gave into it there, wondering if it would become easier or harder once I didn't have any cigarettes left on hand. So far I haven't found out. I think I still have two smokes left in my last pack. And just to mess with myself, I keep that pack in the inside pocket of my jacket, that oh so convenient pocket I love any jacket for having.

I struggled with and overcame most of the random habitual smoking instances first. Those times when I just reach for a cigarette without really thinking about it. Okay, I still often reached for a cigarette, but most of the time realized I already had a snus in my mouth, obviously didn't need the nicotine, and would possibly make myself sick with the added nic spike of smoking and snussing at the same time.

Surprisingly to me, the coffee and cigarette smoke was one of the first big ones to go. This was probably helped along by cold wet weather, discouraging me from standing out in it. Or perhaps more so by finding that the first snus to become a fave of mine, Roda Lacket, went exceptionally well with a basic, single tall latte. This allowed me to start a new morning routine and replace the old. I now have a Roda Lacket around the same time every morning, usually with a latte, though I switch up my coffee drinks a fair amount.

The biggest challenges ended up being the after dinner smoke, and the stress smoke. After the first week there were days where my only smoke was the after dinner smoke. Other days I might have 2 or 3 smokes, and those were generally random stress smokes.

But in the end what really got me past most of the challenging smoking situations has been the fact that the less I smoke, the less enjoyable I find it to smoke. I relapsed last Saturday and smoked a whole handful in a day, and regretted it quite a bit for how it left me feeling. After that the next couple days each time I gave into a craving and started smoking, I was strongly aware of how little I was enjoying the smoke, how it wasn't doing much of anything for me, that it tasted pretty ick, made my mouth feel dry and pasty, and that while smoking it I was thinking about some sweet and/or salty deliciousness of a snus.

So all in all the experiment seems to be a success on the side of snus. I can't say I don't still have cravings for cigarettes. And I can't guarantee I'm not going to smoke those last two I've got at some point. Three days without smoking isn't making the cravings lessen, quite the contrary. But when I face the craving and think about what it's going to be like to actually go light up, I realize pretty quickly that it's pretty much pointless, and that makes it pretty easy to set aside.

So that's that. The way quitters tend to relapse, I know three days smoke free wouldn't convince any sort of skeptic, but I find it pretty unimaginable that I'd return to my lifestyle of smoking a pack a day.

Now, even if I never smoke another cigarette, I'm still an addict. I don't find this fact exactly thrilling, but am still incredibly happy about breaking the chain of cigarettes. There are so many things about smoking that are pretty negative in nature aside from the nicotine addiction. Over the last two weeks I've fallen in love with swedish snus. So when I post about the stuff, you'll hear me enthusiastically praising it, lauding its virtues, raving about how much I love it, maybe even seeming a bit evangelical about it.

So let me lay out something right here. I may not always say it at the time, but when I talk about how wonderful swedish snus is it will always be in the context of vs. my previous smoking habit, and in the context of a tobacco product, none of which are completely safe or good for you. If you're not an addict you are best of staying that way. If you are an addict and can kick that addiction, you rock. If you're an addict and are probably going to stay an addict, then aim for the least detrimental path possible. For nicotine addicts, that path seems to be snus.

With the cravings I fought and the challenges I found quitting smoking using snus, I can hardly imagine what it would be like to try and quit with some other methods. Other nicotine replacement methods don't seem to offer the same amounts of nicotine, or as pleasant a delivery, and tend to cost a fortune. Of course, their goal is to wean you off nicotine, not permanently replace, but I have to wonder how long it would have taken me to develop a strong enough desire to quit for those to be enough. And cold turkey? I shudder to think.

Alrighty, that's the report. Because of the length it ended up being, and my brain addled and tired state, I'm going to close here and break the post of what snubies can expect in their first days and weeks into a separate post to follow soon.

No comments: